Tuesday 1 September 2009

Wii Internet Channel Update

Just what I was waiting for. Well, actually not, but it's important all the same.

Nintendo released today an update to the Internet Channel for Wii, with an updated Flash Player. I haven't yet tried which version it is, I guess it's 9 or 10. (edit: read below)
The incredible news is that now Wii will be overwhelmed with GOOD Flash games rivaling Wiiware offerings. Is Nintendo crazy? Waiting for an answer, I hope that the good folks at Wiicade will update their Flash APIs for the Wii to ActionScript 3.0

Moreover, the channel is now free to download and the ones who bought it will get a refund. They will download a NES game worth 500 Wii Points for free. This is really kind from Nintendo.

EDIT: The Flash Player has been updated to Flash Lite 3.1, which means it can play Flash 8 movies or lower. No AS 3.0. WHAT A SHAME.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, until I read the update I thought my prayers to the Nintendo Gods were answered! Flash Lite 3.1 doesn't sound like much of an update at all, as the previous Internet Channel could already deal with a lot of Flash 8 features. :/
    I do hope it has the tabbed-browsing cube that was leaked last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute... Are you even sure it's updated at all?? I can only find news about it now being free, not updated. What's your source?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't...

    And no, the Internet Channel couldn't handle Flash 8 at all, but all the same it's not a great update :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the message on the Wii. I'm sure, I downloaded it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, I got the message myself as well. Sorry for doubting you! :)

    ReplyDelete