Wednesday 10 September 2008

Pro (R)Evolution Soccer

Tonight I have to talk about one of the most surprising games of the latest years. Yes it's Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 for the Wii, and I'm gonna tell you why. Meanwhile, watch some movies of the game if you don't know about it.

This game does what I dream I could do at least once in my life, to take game mechanics unchanged since ten or more years, and change them. The team at Konami (I think the name is Greyhound) took classic aim-with-the-dpad-and-pass-with-a-button mechanic and reworked it, giving the gamers so much freedom that when I watched the first video I thought: "ok, this looks good but... is it gonna work?"
Thanks God that team was creative and looking really forward, everyone could have said "the Wii doesn't have PES, let's take the last version and port it there". After all they could have taken the PS2 graphics (and it's what they did) and only port the controls.
Instead they built a game from the ground specifically for the Wii, and changed things so much that I think I will never play an 'old conception' football game without feeling deprived of something. I'm not going to explain every move in the game, I only want to make clear that you can move every single player in the game, whether with the ball or not, and pass in every single space, pixel perfectly. And move at about ten different speeds. It's the ultimate football control.
And all of this when the other versions of PES let you move and pass only in eight directions. Think about it.

2 comments:

  1. my first comment about this game when i played it at ciro's has been:
    WHAT FUCK IS THIS????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salvatore, you said so because you're not open to innovation... come on... embrace.. the revolution!! :D

    ReplyDelete